Wednesday, March 4, 2015
Thursday, September 11, 2014
Monday, January 16, 2012
Yup. You can—and should!—still sign up for Hero Initiative 2012 memberships! At our highest Excelsior! level, membership even comes with a sketch of a character of your choice on a special Hero Initiative board by George Pérez or Walt Simonson.
George showed off some of his earlier. Now Walt's deadlines have allowed him to join in.
Speaking of "join in," you should, too!
Yep, it's the proverbial three-ring circus and all.
The Orlando MegaCon is one of comics' biggest and craziest conventions, and we at Hero Initiative would feel badly if we weren't doing our part to add to the crazy.
So. Go get your tickets. And when you do, feel free to make a small donation to Hero at the same time. Down at the bottom of the page where it says "Please support the Hero Initiative," you can add in $1, $10 or whatever you feel to Hero as you buy your tickets. And we thank you for it!
Then, Feb. 17-19, hustle buns to booth #531. This will be where you'll find Hero's booth, the official roost of artist George Pérez all weekend!
You can also get your picture taken with the Hero Initiative costumers just inside the D1 lobby doors. These peeps know their stuff, and they're some of the top costumers in the nation, as these pics should testify to…
Art lovers will NOT want to miss the FINAL leg of Hero's original JLA cover auctions! The last 34 covers go up on the block Friday, Feb. 17 at 6:30 PM in Room 240c. Be there!
And when your feet are tired and you need a laugh on Saturday night, the Geeks of Comedy are there to tickle your funny bone. Check out their great comedy show Saturday, Feb. 18 at 10 PM in Room 221B&E.
Yep. Full weekend!
Monday, January 2, 2012
The social event of the season will take place Jan. 21, 2012 at Tate's Comics in Lauderhill, FL, in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. Tate's famous Bear and Bird Gallery will have 297 vintage DC Comics cover proofs from 1964-1974 that once belonged to legendary DC Editor Julius Schwartz. These blank-backed cover sheets were the final printer's proofs Schwartz would review before a book would go to print. They've been gifted to Hero Initiative, and will be available starting Jan. 21 at $100 each.
And can you dig it? A whopping 87 of these proofs feature art by Neal Adams, and Neal has graciously autographed them all! Four more have been autographed by artist Joe Giella.
Each proof comes with a double-swell Certificate of Authenticity as well, corresponding to its particular issue.
And as if that wasn't enough, the second leg of our "Justice League of America 100 Project" auctions also happens on Jan. 21! A whoppin' 35 original covers go up on the auction block! For full details including proxy bidding information if you can't make it to Tate's, check out our JLA hub page.
Thursday, December 29, 2011
The Will and Ann Eisner Family Foundation is a great organization that has done many nice things to help Hero Initiative. Here's one right now:
We have a limited number of promotional posters from the 2011 Will Eisner's New York exhibit at the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art. While supplies last, if you purchase selected prints from Hero's eBay store, we'll kick in a FREE copy of this poster courtesy of the Foundation!
You can get the Frank Cho Howard the Duck signed or unsigned…
Arthur Suydam's Zombie Scarface…
The Toronto Comic Con litho signed by Terry Moore, Matt Wagner AND Marv Wolfman…
Clayton Crain's Robot and Girl…
The autographed Ed Hannigan Spider-Man…
…or the autographed Josh Medors Spider-Man.
Check ’em out, and thanks once again to the Will and Ann Eisner Family Foundation!
Jack Davis kindly donated this art to Hero Initiative…but even he's not sure what it is! He thinks it might be a Time magazine piece. If anyone can ID, please let us know in the comments section here. Thanks!
And a link to a mighty ComicArtFans.com gallery with this…here!
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
The time is ripe to sign up for your 2012 Hero Initiative membership!
And for those of you who feel very generous, you can get a head sketch of a character of your choice by either George Pérez or Walter Simonson! One smart guy already owns the Galactus, above!
Maybe you can lay claim to this Scarlet Witch…
Or if your tastes run more to willpower, there's always this great Green Lantern!
Get ’em while they're hot, peeps!
The auction to end all auctions is up and running! Check it out, because:
a) It's super-cool; and
b) A nice slice of the proceeds go to Hero Initiative!
Seriously. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman is auctioning off his entire studio in one fell swoop. This is one for the ages.
And make sure you make the party at Meltdown Comics on January 4, 2012 as well, huh?
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Perhaps the craziest, coolest auction of all time!
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman has moved his entire studio into Meltdown Comics. AND he's gonna auction the ENTIRE thing off in one giant lot!
The KEVIN EASTMAN ART STUDIO auction will run for 10 days beginning Dec. 25th, Christmas Day, at 9:00 PM (PST). It will wrap the evening of January 4th at 9:00 PM, which will be the final night of the 35 DAYS OF KEVIN EASTMAN event at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood. Swing by for the huge blowout closing night party!
And before you do, check out this amazing video in which Kevin walks you through the studio and some of the items.
On Christmas night, you can seek out eBay merchant: oranj
They'll be running the auction. And here are some of the highlights you'll find contained within this treasure trove!
* Kevin's Drawing Table and Chair (table is as it was when Kevin decided to do this auction). Includes Pens, Shotglasses, Empty Redbull Cans, etc.
* Original Illustrated Storyboards for HEAVY METAL 2000
* Highlander Animated Series: press pack, Early Cut of the Movie, Copies of entire Movie as Directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri
* Over 600 DVDs - most of them partially watched while working on art in the studio. Includes DVD deck and monitor.
* Double-Sized Production Prototype of OZZY OSBOURNE "Bark At The Moon" Action Figure sculpted by Digger T. Mesch
* Photocopy of Simon Bisley's Lobo/Authority Pencils & Layout for the entire story
* 2 Pgs of Original Art from TNMT Movie Adaptation - 1 Featuring Twin Towers - 1 Featuring Statue of Liberty - Framed with US Flag from Kevin's Home
* Richard Corben Original Art (at least two pieces - there may be more!)
* Signed Elizabeth Hurly Photo from Austin Powers.
* Kevin's personal San Diego Comic Con Badges going back about 10 years
* Various Movie Posters - Comic Prints - and More . . . used to "wallpaper" the studio!
* Toy Guns, Knives and a Hand-Grenade (non-functional) used as reference for comics
* Original art portrait of Kevin by Simon "BIZ" Bisley (there's actually quite a bit of BIZ art in here!)
* Trigun, Lain, and other favorite Anime Animation Cells
* A Fishtank (formerly held Kevin's gecko) filled with various odds and ends tossed in over a six year period - ???
* TMNT Comic 5-Color Press Proof Overlays (from back in the days before digital press proofs)
* Box of Original Photos of Playmates & Models (mostly nude) - Photography by Julie Strain
* Turtles Car Windshield Sunblock - Still in Original Shrinkwrap
* Turtles Cereal Box (cardboard mock up - never assembled)
* TONS of random Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles goodies . . . prototypes . . . and oddities
* Original Comic Art by Various Creators
* Statues & Action Figures - - Pin-Up, Fantasy, Superhero, Turtles (natch) and more!
* Various Billiken Models From Japan (Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature, Mummy and MORE)
* LOTS OF HEAVY METAL ART . . . BOOKS . . . UNUSED TREASURES!
* and so much more . . . some of these boxes have not even been opened. Who knows what lurks inside?!
Auction starts December 25th at 9:00 PM (PST). Search KEVIN EASTMAN ART STUDIO or go to http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/oranj