Graham Crackers HERO Web Store

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Unfinished symphony, Dave Simons



Very unfortunately, artist Dave Simons passed away last week. Dave was in progress on a page in Hero Comics at the time. He had sent in the script, but had not started drawing the page yet.

Dave's script will still appear, as part of what will now be a tribute page in the book. Hero's Charlie Novinskie, a friend of Dave's, will write a remembrance on that page as well.

We present Dave's script here as well, as a bit of an "unfinished symphony." Both this blog post and the page in the book happen only on the advice and consent of Bette Simons, Dave's sister and next-of-kin. As you read it, we ask you keep both of them in your thoughts.

A nice pic of younger Dave at the bottom as well.

Jim McLauchlin

(Dave Simons)
DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

PANEL 1
We see a dramatic shot of THE DEVIL. My version looks more like a hot-rod devil, the kind of thing Robert Williams would draw.

CAPTION 1
That's usually who it is in those jokes. It's the kind of tale told over the second or third cocktail, the joke about what you want and what you get in your deal with the devil.

PANEL 2
INT. BAR, angle on DAVE, age 18 and wearing U.S. Coast Guard dress uniform of the period, with a drink and a cigarette, looking smug.
CAPTION 2
In these tales, the
letter of the contract is always granted, but never the intent.

PANEL 3
NIGHT, EXT. CITY STREET, on DAVE, now in his early 50s, sitting on a stoop and looking at the cigarette in his hand, dejectedly.
CAPTION 3
Thirty-five years later, and I still did not have lung cancer or gum cancer. What I did have was esophageal cancer (look it up).
CAPTION 4
Thanks to serving my country in my youth, my medical expenses are well-covered. What's not are my living expenses. I'm in the odd position of being able to work, but not being able to work enough to pay my bills.
CAPTION 5
Hero Initiative has been invaluable here. When the wolf is at the door, Hero Initiative has been there to pay the rent. Many times. That wolf, he does get hungry.

PANEL 4
INT. STUDIO, on DAVE hunched over a drafting table and feverishly drawing away in a cramped studio space.
CAPTION 6
For now, I do what I can. Some days are better than others. It's tough to find the time and energy, whenever I can, I draw,
CAPTION 7
I know now I made a deal with the devil. I just didn't know I'd be rescued by angels.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave's memory lives on...A year ago today he passed from this earth. So many have kept his art and spirit alive. My love to all that are remembering Dave. Bette Simons